About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mother of 2 amazing kids. My oldest is 6 and we call him "Bubba". My youngest is 5 and we call her "Moonie". We love life and try to find the silver lining no matter what the situation. I love to "make lemonade"! :) I like to try new recipes- vegan ones mostly- as we have food allergies in our house. We strictly avoid all dairy, eggs, and tree nuts. Cooking and baking safe foods for my family is very important to me- and a challenge I enjoy.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

We did it!!!

So, as you know, we have some pretty scary food allergies in our family. We don't go out to eat very often to keep the chance of a reaction low. We (meaning me) are scared to try new foods- the funny thing is that my son (who is the allergic one) is unafraid. Anyway, we joined the kids club at our local food co-op and as part of that you get a free smoothie for completing activities. So, after Bubba's dentist appointment yesterday (yeah, no cavities!), we had to run to the food co-op for a few things.  Phil asked if we were going to get a smoothie. I immediately thought "NO!" since it was a new thing we had never tried. I had talked to one of the workers there last week about how they clean their blenders, what ingredients are typically used, etc... all of the routine questions when dealing with allergies. Yesterday, when my husband mentioned it- I was speechless because I hadn't even thought of doing it then or processed all of it yet (yes, I am slow!).

When we walked into Basics, I had no intention of getting a smoothie- just picking up our vegan cheese and chocolate chips- and then we passed the smoothie bar... I thought, "I can look to see what they offer so I know for when we are ready." The menu looked pretty yummy- some items that were safe for us, some that were not.

The girl behind the counter asked if we wanted something, so I explained that we have food allergies and she said that they have lots of people who have food allergies that get smoothies there.

Hmmmm. (Processing again...)

I asked how they cleaned the blenders (again) and she explained it. I said thanks and we were going to head to the register to pay for our other items when Bubba asked, "Are we going to get a smoothie?"

That shouldn't be a tough question, but it really was.

So, the three of us (Moonie in tow) went back to the smoothie bar and read the menu and picked an item that sounded yummy. We talked it over - for quite a while...

"We would like the orange, strawberry, banana smoothie, please", I said. I couldn't believe I was doing it. What was I thinking????

After paying and going out to the car, I realized I had been holding the smoothie like one might hold a bomb that could go off at any time. I had to look crazy! But we weren't having any until we got to a spot where I was comfortable (the car fit the bill- so I could drive to the ER if I needed to...)

The kids were safely in their car seats and I turned to give Bubba his first little sip- to see if it caused a reaction- and he loved the taste! He had less than a teaspoon- and wanted more immediately. I wouldn't let him for a few minutes until I knew that he wouldn't have a reaction. No sign of a reaction. Several minutes later, another sip. Several minutes after that, another sip. No reaction... He wanted to hold it (and I no longer treated it like it might detonate) so I gave him the cup.

By this time, we were home. He proceeded to finish the smoothie (with a tiny bit of help from Moonie) during lunch and thought it was the best thing ever. And all I could think was that I almost didn't get it. I am grateful that Phil brought it up and that I was just less scared than normal and we tried it. What a great lesson for me! :)

Score:     Allergy- 0 
               Bubba- 1

No comments:

Post a Comment