About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mother of 2 amazing kids. My oldest is 6 and we call him "Bubba". My youngest is 5 and we call her "Moonie". We love life and try to find the silver lining no matter what the situation. I love to "make lemonade"! :) I like to try new recipes- vegan ones mostly- as we have food allergies in our house. We strictly avoid all dairy, eggs, and tree nuts. Cooking and baking safe foods for my family is very important to me- and a challenge I enjoy.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How do they do that?

I cannot figure out for the life of me how other moms seem to be able to read books. No, I know that sounds stupid (a curse word in our house) but there are quite a few reasons that this sounds so foreign to me.
1. My kids don't seem to play anything without needing adult intervention for longer than about 4 minutes. By the time I find my page... They are yelling "Moooommmmmmmyyyyy!"
2. There seems to be an endless stream of dishes, laundry, pick-up, food prep, etc.... that interferes with my ability to sit for an appropriate amount if time.
3. Bedtime would be an obvious opportunity to read, but my kids think that bedtime is merely a guideline. They go to bed to start, but after about 5 minutes, one of them inevitably needs to use the restroom. Once one is up, then usually the other one needs to get up (because there has to be some sort of party or circus that they would miss out on if they stayed in bed!) Then it is a revolving door with kids in and out of the bathroom and so trying to follow a plot line in a book is pretty difficult to say the least.

Now, don't get me wrong- I am very blessed to be able to have the time with them- especially during the summer. I love them to the moon and back... But every once in a while, I reminisce about the days of lounging in bed till 10 AM... Planning a meal and not worrying about including all of the food groups... Sitting and reading for hours on end until the book I'd picked up was finished... Running to the store and watching a movie from start to finish also used to be easier. I guess the trade off is: we have live in entertainment... they give the world's best sloppy kisses and hugs that last forever... Sweet whispers... And holding them on my lap actually makes my heart ache because I know they won't be this size forever.

Now that I think about it... I am happy to give up the books for now. I will keep a list of the ones i want to read and until then, I will treasure the time with my babies who already grow too fast for my liking!

1 comment:

  1. In due time, my dear. Blake just turned 5, the others are 8 & 10. They read while I read. :) Honestly I got most reading done this summer at their practices/lessons. PS: I see you have a SITS button. I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete