About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mother of 2 amazing kids. My oldest is 6 and we call him "Bubba". My youngest is 5 and we call her "Moonie". We love life and try to find the silver lining no matter what the situation. I love to "make lemonade"! :) I like to try new recipes- vegan ones mostly- as we have food allergies in our house. We strictly avoid all dairy, eggs, and tree nuts. Cooking and baking safe foods for my family is very important to me- and a challenge I enjoy.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I wish the nights weren't so long...

Infamous words from my 4 1/2 year old son. He is stuck in the stage between needing a nap and not needing one. If he naps during the day, he tends to stay up until about 10:30 (which drives me nuts!). If he doesn't nap, he can be a little cranky and quick to cry if something doesn't go his way. Is this what they call growing pains? If we could get him to take a short nap  then maybe we wouldn't have this issue. Compounding it is the fact that he will be going back to school in the fall and will have a "nap time" where he will be expected to lay down. If I take away naps now, then he has to do them again in a few weeks- it will be a difficult transition. If we keep them, he keeps the rest of the family awake late at night. This is officially a no-win situation. If anyone has any answers, I would love to hear them! :)

On to fun things- we have had a few play dates this week (and another one tomorrow) and the kids are loving seeing all of their friends! :) After playing in the heat, this is one of our family's favorite treats. And, I promised the recipe for Holly so here goes:

Vegan Ice Cream

3 C vanilla coconut milk (I use the So Delicious coconut milk as it seems to be the most rich)
1 C vegetable oil
1 C sugar
1-2 T vanilla (based on taste)

Place the above ingredients in a blender. Process to make sure it is well blended. Immediately pour into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer directions. (If you don't have an ice cream maker, I have heard of people pouring it into a large Ziploc plastic bag and placing it in the freezer. They go back and mix it by squeezing the bag every hour or hour and a half. Not sure how long it would take to then have ice cream... with the ice cream maker, I can have soft ice cream in about 3 hours. If you try it, let me know. ;)  )

*You can add a couple of bananas to the blender for some additional flavor and texture... you can also add chocolate chips after it has mixed in the ice cream machine.

Good luck and happy eating ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment