About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mother of 2 amazing kids. My oldest is 6 and we call him "Bubba". My youngest is 5 and we call her "Moonie". We love life and try to find the silver lining no matter what the situation. I love to "make lemonade"! :) I like to try new recipes- vegan ones mostly- as we have food allergies in our house. We strictly avoid all dairy, eggs, and tree nuts. Cooking and baking safe foods for my family is very important to me- and a challenge I enjoy.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Look, Ma- no training wheels!

Well, as if I needed yet another reminder that my son is growing up quickly, he decided yesterday that he no longer needs training wheels.

I was minding my own business in the kitchen making dinner (BLTs- yum!) when I hear my husband (who was outside with both kids) yell in the open window that I needed to take a look at something. I peeked out the window and saw my son riding his bike in the grass. I thought, "Cool- he's been doing this during the day when Phil is at work and he finally showed Daddy!" Well, Phil pointed down to where Bubba's training wheels USED TO BE. I squealed!

There was my 4 year old son, riding in the grass, doing laps in the yard- upright- on a bike with NO TRAINING WHEELS. What?!?!?!?! I was so proud, but I also had such mixed emotions. I was almost (wait for it....) speechless. Hard to believe, huh? I ran out to the yard (after grabbing the video camera) and watched in amazement as my little man went from riding just a few feet before losing his balance to riding laps around the house. I couldn't believe it! Phil had the brilliant idea to have him try in the grass to start (he could explain the reason... I just know it worked!) and Bubba took over from there. He didn't want to get off his bike to eat dinner, even!

By the end of the night (after another venture outside to try riding after dinner), Bubba was riding up and down the sidewalk in front of our house and the neighbor's house and starting from a dead stop. He was using the brakes more comfortably and turning. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!! The learning curve seems amazing to me because I remember boxes of band-aids and lots of Bactine and Mercurochrome. I remember tears and my dad having to hold on the seat for trips in front of the house about a gazillion times...

I am not sure when it happened or how, but my little man is growing up right before my eyes. Bittersweet only because I love him small and cuddly and I am afraid he will outgrow that part- but proud of the adventurous little man he is.  I love him and can't wait to see what new thing he does next!  **contented sigh**

No comments:

Post a Comment