About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mother of 2 amazing kids. My oldest is 6 and we call him "Bubba". My youngest is 5 and we call her "Moonie". We love life and try to find the silver lining no matter what the situation. I love to "make lemonade"! :) I like to try new recipes- vegan ones mostly- as we have food allergies in our house. We strictly avoid all dairy, eggs, and tree nuts. Cooking and baking safe foods for my family is very important to me- and a challenge I enjoy.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A little behind....

I have found that there are not as many hours in a day as I once thought. I sometimes feel like time flies by so quickly that I blink and I miss hours. I think that this became really apparent to me once we were blessed with kids. The kids are so much fun and have more energy than I ever remember having! They love to go and do things- pretty much anything- farmers market, community garden, grocery shopping, dentist, you name it! Today we are planning on going to the 4 H fair in our city. We have gone to the fair for several years now and my oldest, Bubba, loves to go. He enjoys seeing all of the animals- and marveling at how big they are! Ollie, on the other hand, has been scared of the animals in the past simply because they are so big! :) How unique they are, my little monkeys. I am curious to see how they do! :)

Oh- I almost forgot to share my new recipe! If you are new here, I basically bake vegan due to my son's food allergies. It is funny- I look for vegan recipes all the time (since they don't contain dairy or egg) and then I sometimes add meat for a full meal. I do not do this to offend, it is just how we handle things in our life right now. OK, so back to the recipe- lemon blueberry scones-- perfect for summer when berries are fresh and sooooo yummy! Here goes:

1 1/2 tsp ener-g egg replacer
2 T water
Place above ingredients in mini-food processor or whip by hand until thick and creamy.

2 1/2 C all purpose flour
1/3 C sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Cut in 3/4 C cold vegan margarine until mix resembles coarse bread crumbs.

Add in to the crumbly mixture:
1/2 C soy or coconut milk (unsweetened, plain, vanilla, or vegan "buttermilk" all work well)
1/2-1 tsp lemon flavoring (depending on your taste)
pre-mixed egg replacer from above
Stir all ingredients just until dough holds together. If you stir too much, the scones will be tough.

Add in:
1 C fresh blueberries- fold them in gently.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. After dough is mixed together, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a circle about 3/4-1" thick. Cut into wedges (like a pizza). Place pieces about 2" apart on a greased (or silicone lined) cookie sheet. Brush the tops with water or milk just to moisten and sprinkle with turbinado/ raw sugar or cinnamon/ sugar mix if desired.

Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool slightly on the pan, then finish cooling on a rack (if they last that long!). Enjoy! :)

Now that I am done with this, I think I will go have a scone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment